Dr. George W. Oatis, Jr
Meet Dr. Oatis
Dr. George Oatis brings a high level of Oral and Maxillofacial surgery expertise to our practice. At Sacramento Surgical Arts, Dr. Oatis frequently performs procedures in dental alveolar surgery. Some of his most common treatments for the teeth and gums include wisdom teeth extraction, dental implants and preparation of the jaws for dentures.
As a retired Navy captain, Vietnam veteran, and former director of Naval training programs, Dr. Oatis has a wealth of experience to draw upon. When he first became interested in the OMS field, he says he was excited by the chance to correct facial deformities – troubling conditions for those affected by injuries or defects. The doctor went on to use his surgical skills during two tours in Vietnam, often treating Marines with traumatic facial injuries.
Today, the doctor enjoys his ability to utilize modern oral surgery techniques with dental implants. For example, Dr. Oatis employs CT scans to diagnose problems of the jaw, teeth, and gums. He also offers our patients several options for safe, effective anesthesia, including an outpatient general anesthetic, allowing you to be comfortable throughout your surgery.
Dr. Oatis is a Connecticut native, but he’s been a resident of California since 1964. Outside the office, he enjoys golf, traveling, being a pilot, and spending time with his wife of 52 years and 9 grandchildren.
In his quest to treat the underprivileged, Dr. Oatis has traveled to Mexico on several occasions and presently goes to Cambodia supporting Agape International Missions based in Roseville, Ca.
A few of the doctor’s career highlights include:
- Lectured all around the world
- Author of nearly 30 clinical articles
- Practiced Oral-Maxillofacial surgery in Carmichael, Roseville and Folsom
- Retired Navy Captain after 21 years of active duty.
- Former director of training programs in four Naval Hospitals.
AssociationsDr. Oatis is involved in many local and national dental societies. He served as president of both the Northern California Society of Oral Maxillofacial Surgeons and the California Association of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons.
- Western Society of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons
- American Dental Association
- American Association of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons (Fellow)
- Northern California Society of Oral Maxillofacial Surgeons Member, Past President
- American Dental Society of Anesthesiology (Fellow)
- International Association of Oral Maxillofacial Surgeons (Fellow)
- American Academy of Oral Pathology
- The American Academy of Implant Dentistry, Member
- Academy of Osseointegration, Member
- International Congress of Oral Implantologists, Member
- American College of Dentists (Fellow)
- Academy of Dentists - International (Fellow)
- Sacramento District Dental Society
- American Board of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Advisory Committee (1987-1992)
- California Association of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons, Past President, Committee on Risk Management and Anesthesia Committee
- Pierre Fauchard Academy (Fellow)
Publications and Lectures
To see all lectures and publications by Dr. George Oatis, please download this PDF file with his full curriculum vitae.
To Schedule an Appointment with Dr. Oatis
The most rewarding aspect of his career, he says, is interacting and communicating with patients. You can meet with Dr. Oatis by scheduling an appointment at Sacramento Surgical Arts. Call 916-419-4588 or send us an email to learn more.